Next WWE HOF Inductee, The Rock Sells Florida Home
Posted by Dave Mitchell on 02/04/2011 at 02:46 PM
-- With Shawn Michaels still the only confirmed name for the WWE Hall of Fame's Class of 2011, we can report that hardcore wrestling legend Abdullah The Butcher is also being strongly considered for this year. Triple H noted in recent interview that he suggested Abdullah to WWE management as a possible candidate for this year.
-- Former WWE manager Armando Estrada was at Tuesday's SmackDown tapings from the Nassau Coliseum Smackdown about a possible return to the company.
-- During an interview with Canadian radio station Fan 590 earlier this week, World Heavyweight champion Edge talked about being very happy with his current role in WWE and had positive things to say about young WWE stars Dolph Ziggler, John Morrison, and Sheamus.
-- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and his ex-wife Dani recently sold their former home in Davie, Florida for a cool $1.2 million. For more in the sale, visit BizJournals.com.
Heyman's Book, Adamle Back in the News, More
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/04/2011 at 02:10 PM
- The Millennium Wrestling Federation will hold a press conference for their Soul Survivor VII event on Saturday, February 12th at 6pm before the Boston Blazers vs. Colorado Mammouth lacrosse game at the TD Boston Garden in Boston, MA. There will be a Q&A session with Shelton Benjamin and John Cena Sr., among others, will be appearing. For $25 you get admission to the press conference, admission to the Benjamin Q&A, one Benjamin autograph, one photo with Benjamin and one ticket to the Blazers vs. Mammouth game.
- Chicago Business reports that former WWE announcer Mike Adamle's home in Evanston, Illinois is being foreclosed after he and his wife failed to pay off a $1.1 million loan that matured this past August.
This comes after Adamle's wife divorced him last May and this past December, the IRS filed a lien against them for non-payment of $70,808 in taxes from 2008 and 2009. Last month, Adamle was arrested for DUI.
- Former WWE star Lance Hoyt (Vance Archer) recently won the NWA Texas Heavyweight Championship.
- Paul Heyman's book is currently scheduled to be released on September 13th of this year. The working title is "The Heyman Hustle: Wrestling's Most Extreme Promoter Tells All."
First Tough Enough Trainer, Bearer-Abyss, Waltman
Posted by Dave Mitchell on 02/04/2011 at 12:46 PM
- Booker T has been confirmed as a trainer for WWE's new Tough Enough show.
- During an interview with ClubWWI.com, former WWE manager Paul Bearer revealed that he was in talks with TNA about managing Abyss before the character debuted, but Bearer's health issues during the mid 2000's prevented it from happening.
- Former WWE star Sean "X-Pac" Waltman was at last night's Florida Championship Wrestling's event in Tampa. FL.
- Dolph Ziggler will be appearing at an upcoming wrestling meet for Kent State University when they take on Ohio University on 2/11. Ziggler, who was a very accomplished amateur wrestler at Kent State, will doing a photo and autograph session after the meet.
TV Taping Spoilers involving Nexus Member & more
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/04/2011 at 11:51 AM
At the WWE developmental TV tapings last night at the FCW Arena in Tampa, FL, Bo Rotundo defeated Nexus member Mason Ryan to become the 11th FCW Heavyweight Champion. After special referee Norman Smiley presented the championship to Rotundo, FCW General Manager Maxine, then came to the ringside flanked by her security guard Buck Dixon and Lucky Cannon. She congratulated Rotundo on becoming the youngest champion in FCW history, and stated that she was curious to find out how long he can keep the championship. She then said his first title defense will be RIGHT NOW against Cannon. She told Smiley to leave the ring as Brett DiBiase (in a surprise heel turn) ran into the ring with a referee shirt on and started the match. He ignored pin attempts by Rotundo, then gave a quick three count for Cannon’s first pin attempt and declared Cannon the 12th FCW Heavyweight Champion. Cannon and Maxine kissed passionately during his victory celebration as the show ended.
The “Queen Of FCW”, Smackdown superstar Rosa Mendes, also lost her title at the event. She was pinned by NXT season 3 rookie Aksana.
Seth Rollins and Richie Steamboat wrestled to a 15 minute draw as Seth defended his Jack Brisco 15 Minute Challenge medal as there were no pinfalls during the ironman style challenge. Following the match, which was an early match of the year candidate, Steamboat and Rollins shook hands, then Steamboat delivered an ensaguri to Rollins head then walked away from the ring in an apparant heel turn. Rollins was left laid out in the middle of the ring before the referee and trainer assisted him out.
Ricardo Rogriguez, ring announcer for Alberto Del Rio, also acted as the ring anouncer for FCW Tag Team Champions Col Damien Sandow & Titus O’Neill as well as advised in their corner during two championship defenses. The first was in a victory against the returning former champs ‘Los Aviadores’ Hunico (Incognito) and Epico (Orlando ‘Tito’ Colon) who had not appeared on FCW TV as a team in several months. In the second defense, Rodriguez caused Sandow and O’Neill to get DQ’d as he interfered in their match against the new pairing of Leakee and Donny Marlow.
Shaul Guerrero, daughter of Vickie & Eddy Guerrero, was introduced as ‘Raquel Diaz’ in an interview segment with Caylee Turner. Despite the new name, her 3rd generation lineage was being discussed, the segment was interrupted by NXT season 3 diva A.J., who loudly repeated “EXCUSE ME”, then told Diaz it didn’t matter if her name was Raquel Diaz, Carmen Sandiego, or Chiquita Banana... Everybody knows the only reason made it there was because of her family. The two exchanged words as the interview ended.
Great mic work by A.J..
The opening match of the first week of the taping saw NXT season 2 rookie Percy Watson pin season 4 rookie Brodus Clay in strong match with lots of heat from the crowd. Both will be on the main roster very soon...
NXT season 4 rookie Conor O’Brian introduced his ‘Rat Trap’. He lured Mike McGrath (Canadian star Mattias Wild) under the ring, offered him cheese, then knocked him out with a weapon.
Those in attendance for this sold out event included Sean “XPac” Waltman, Florida wrestling star from the late 80s-early 90s Star Rider Rock (aka Sgt Rock), and RB for the Lingerie Football League’s Tampa Breeze, Tiffani Powers.
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/04/2011 at 11:12 AM
- MVP revealed on Twitter that he would be using the same gimmick he had in WWE while working for New Japan Pro Wrestling soon. There was some speculation after he left WWE if he would be able to use the gimmick or not.
- Former ECW General Manager Steve Karel will be launching The Urban Wrestling Federation later this year with the concept mixing hardcore, gritty wrestling with hip-hop music and the culture. It was described as "ECW meets Urban Underground." Karel has cleared deals with several pay-per-view carriers and is currently in the early stages of negotiations with a national cable outlet.
- THQ revealed this week that SmackDown vs. RAW 2011 shipped 2.7 million units during the holiday quarter, making it one of their two biggest-earning titles along with the uDraw art tablet for Wii. However, the number of units shipped is down from last year.
- John Cena wrote the following on Twitter regarding Elimination Chamber and Jerry Lawler: "CeNation. Very happy for king. I figured Sheamus and I will settle any differences in the chamber. I hate the chamber.even more than sheamus."
Average WWE Ratings in January, Maria's Project
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/04/2011 at 11:12 AM
- The new project that former WWE Diva Maria Kanellis is working on is an organic perfume line called Signature Creme. It will be available later this month. Maria did a photo shoot for the line yesterday.
- Ben One sent word that indy wrestler The Human Tornado was featured on last night's American Idol show that was filmed in California.
- WWE legend Bruno Sammartino will be making his final appearance outside of his home in Pittsburgh during WrestleMania weekend in Atlanta this year for a WrestleReunion event that Sunday. At Sammartino's age, he says he doesn't enjoy traveling outside of Pittsburgh anymore.
- WWE's average rating for Monday Night RAW in January was a 3.24. SmackDown's average rating in the same month was 2.0 while Superstars average was a 0.54.
Nash on His Legends Deal, Relationship with Dixie
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/04/2011 at 11:11 AM
- Kevin Nash recently appeared on Tha O Show with Big Daddy Donnie. The full interview can be heard at thaoshow.com. Here are the highlights:
The reaction at the Royal Rumble:
"I wanted to take a steal chair and just sit in the middle of the aisle and take it all in because I said it's going to be all down hill from here. It couldn't have been more special. Thank god I was wearing a condom."
His business relationship with Dixie Carter:
"If I had have walked into an office and went to Dixie and said this is what I want to do and this is what will make me happy, Dixie would have signed off on it in 30 seconds."
Dixie's reaction to him in the Royal Rumble:
"She was out of the country. I guarantee you she was happy for my response and happy I was happy."
Triple H not working the Rumble:
"Paul had no desire at that point [to get in the ring]. He is working in the office and walking around with a clipboard. Vince and Steph feel the company needs his mind more than his body right now. Whenever he comes back though, it's a game changer. When I found out he [HHH] wasn't working, I asked if it was the buddysystem [not wanting to steal a pop from Booker T or Nash] and that's how I took it."
One last run in WWE:
"It's up to creative. Every guy in the business thinks they have one last run, and the truth is, they do - if creative is in compliance with that. I told them I'd go as hard as I can for as long as I can until I break down."
His current status:
"I could go back to TNA and wrestle for them tomorrow, they just can't put me in a video game - oh wait, they don't have one. They couldn't do a doll, well they could. They could do a doll [like they did before] with a likeness that Vince owns. They [TNA] put out a doll of me with long brown hair. My contract with them said they would market my TNA likeness. I asked Terry Taylor to show me a picture of when I ever worked in TNA with long brown hair. Jakks said, 'Sorry it was a dye problem from China.' You have to look at the doll. Jakks had a 2003 Ruthless Aggression Diesel doll and they slapped a Nash logo on it with the same Diesel head, and it was just bogus man."
His new WWE Legends deal:
"It has verbiage that says you are subject to wrestle. I looked at it as, I'm making a 5 year commitment that I'm not going anywhere else, and if I do they can't market any part of me."
DiBiase on Brett Debuting, His Health, More
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/04/2011 at 11:10 AM
- WWE Hall of Famer Ted DiBiase Sr. spoke at the Las Vegas Disc Jockey Convention this week. Here are some highlights courtesy of John Lawson:
- He said to make it in wrestling today, you have to be a great athlete and have a lot of charisma. DiBiase used Shelton Benjamin as an example, saying he was a world class athlete but lacked charisma and was released.
- He said that people in Hollywood have tried to get his son Ted DiBiase Jr. to leave WWE and focus on a movie career.
- The Million Dollar Man noted that he needs both knees and one of his hips replaced.
- DiBiase was asked why Ric Flair continued to wrestle until a few years ago. DiBiase noted that Flair still wrestles but the person asking the question had never heard of TNA. DiBiase said Flair was his friend but compared him to Mickey Rourke's character in The Wrestler.
- He said he believes his son Brett DiBiase will be on WWE's main roster in six months and that he's almost recovered from back problems.
Diva Possibly Injured, Fans Ejected at SmackDown
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/04/2011 at 11:09 AM
- Reader Eric Burton sent word that fans were kicked out of the building at this past Tuesday's WWE SmackDown tapings when they threw trash into the convertible that Alberto Del Rio drove into the arena. Del Rio had already started going to the ring when the trash was thrown.
Eric also noted that it appeared Layla injured her ankle after the main event with she, Michelle McCool and Dolph Ziggler vs. Edge and Kelly Kelly. A referee and WWE crew member rushed to check on her while the referee threw up the dreaded "X" sign. After SmackDown ended, McCool carried Layla up the ramp and to the back. No word yet if the injury is legit or just part of the show.
Beth on Her Relationship with Natalya, Kong in WWE
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/04/2011 at 11:08 AM
- WWE Diva Beth Phoenix recently spoke with Slam Wrestling to promote this weekend's SmackDown live event in Toronto. Here are some highlights:
Attending a WWE tryout years ago with Gail Kim & Traci Brooks:
"Gail Kim was signed that day and became women's champion just a couple of months later. It was crazy how much talent came out of that area, and still is successful to this day, Gail being a WWE diva as well, a former TNA champion, women's champion."
Her relationship with Natalya:
"One really important thing for me while I was injured was Natalya. Natalya and I are very close, and have been for many, many years, and been there for each other through the thick and thin, the ups and downs of our jobs. She was a wonderful, positive influence on my life. She was going through a lot too with LayCool on television. We were kind of each other's rock during the rough times. Even the Hitman [Bret Hart] has gone out of his way and given me a lot of encouragement. That meant a lot to me, because he was one of my childhood heroes. It was wonderful to have them motivating me along when the going got tough. That's why me being able to come back at Survivor Series and share in her title victory meant a lot to me because it was a long road for both of us to get there."
Her tables match at TLC in December:
"It was kind of cool because in WWE, I'd only had a couple of opportunities to do something like that and the tables opportunity was unique. I think in all WWE history, there's never been a female tag team tables match. Every little bit that I get to raise the bar for the divas is very special to me."
The WWE Divas division:
"With our company, we have a moniker with the divas: Smart, Sexy and Powerful. Our company is really big on us not just being beautiful, not just being about our looks, but also presenting our girls as role models. Most of our divas are greatly educated and would be happy to talk to you about current events and important issues. I think that we all work hard to be something that little girls want to emulate -- not just Barbie dolls, we're more than that."
Awesome Kong in WWE:
"There's been a lot of chatter around about her being signed by WWE. I think a lot of people, their first inclination is to think that it would be quite a clash to see us in the ring together. If we get that opportunity, it will be amazing. I look forward to it. She and I have never wrestled each other, not even on the independent scene or anything. I think it will be quite the spectacle to have Awesome Kong and Beth Phoenix in the same ring at the same time. Hopefully we'll get to see that in the near future."
Nash talks about one last run, HHH's status, more
Posted by Roscoe De Soto on 02/04/2011 at 02:27 AM
On Episode 205 of Tha O Show Radio Program (www.thaOshow.com), Big Daddy Donnie, Dan-e-o and the rest of the crew were joined by Kevin Nash.
Here are a few highlights.
On the reaction he got when he hit the curtain:
"I wanted to take a steal chair and just sit in the middle of the aisle and take it all in because I said its going to be all down hill from here. It couldn't have been more special. thank god i was wearing a condom".
On the amazing reaction he got in tna compared to lack lustre responses in TNA: "if you're going to do dinner theatre in Poughkeepsie you're not going to get the same response as you do on broadway. Nothing against Poughkeepsie".
On his business relationship with Dixie carter: "If i had of walked into an office and went to dixie and said this is what i want to do and this is what will make me happy, dixie would have signed off on it in 30 seconds".
On how Dixie reacted to Nash in the Royal Rumble: "She was out of the country. I guarantee you she was happy for my response and happy i was happy".
On waiting a long, long time for Rey Mysterio to hit the 6-1-9: "Rey put his life in my hands when I threw him off a trailer like a lawn dart 15 years ago. It felt like I was paying back a buddy".
On why HHH did not work the Rumble: "Paul had no desire at that point [to get in the ring]. He is working in the office and walking around with a clipboard. Vince and Steph feel the company needs his mind more than his body right now. Whenever he comes back though, it's a game changer. When i found out he [HHH] wasn't working, I asked if it was the buddy system [not wanting to steal pop from Booker or Nash] and that's how I took it".
On one last run: "it's up to creative. Every guy in the business thinks they have one last run, and the truth is, they do - if creative is in compliance with that. I told them i'd go as hard as i can for as long as i can until i break down".
On his newly signed WWE Legends contract: "It has verbage that says you are subject to wrestle. I looked at it as, i'm making a 5 year commitment that i'm not going anywhere else, and if i do they can't market any part of me".
On his current status: "I could go back to TNA and wrestle for them tomorrow, they just can't put me in a video game - oh wait, they don't have one. They couldn't do a doll, well they could. they could do a doll [like they did before] with a likeness that Vince owns. They [TNA] put out a doll of me with long brown hair. My contract with them said they would market my TNA likeness. I asked Terry Taylor to show me a picture of when i ever worked in TNA with long brown hair. Jakks said. 'sorry it was a dye problem from China' ... you have to look at the doll. Jakks had a 2003 Ruthless Aggression Diesel doll and they slapped a Nash logo on it with the same Diesel head, and it was just bogus man.
About him possibly working WrestleMania: "a lot of people don't know this but the match being discussed is Oz versus Khali, and the stip that will kill us is ... nothing off the top. Iron Man Match. Chilean coal miners glove on a pole match".
The entire interview can be heard by visiting Tha O Show at www.thaOshow.com
Also on this week's show there is a hilarious Road Story from CZW star Sami Callihan and a whole lot more!
CM Punk Taunts Sting & WrestleMania Talk
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 11:21 PM
The latest comment from CM Punk's Twitter page:
"Just talked to Sting. He's fully on board as long as "that bastard" Summers has nothing to do with it."
Punk is clearly playing up to the rumors of former WCW and TNA Star returning to the WWE, however his reference to "Summers" is more than likely referring to Andy Summers, a guitarist who along with Sting - the singer and musician - and Stewart Copeland made up The Police. The Police was a rock band most popular during the late 70's and early 80's.
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 09:43 PM
- You may remember a few months back where Kevin Nash made some negative comments against Wade Barrett and Nexus during an interview he did with Sean Waltman. According to Nash, he was working an angle of his own the whole time. Nash wrote on Twitter:
"I watched WWE product. Knew I could draw $ with Wade. Said whatever I could to instill interest. Amazing, I talked all that shit.
And of the 40 guys in the RR, the one person I disrespected the most was the one that eliminated me was Wade. Poetic Justice. God I love it."
When Nash entered the ring on Sunday at the Royal Rumble, he went right at it with Barrett as the crowd popped.
Maria Working on Project, Mistico's Mask in WWE
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 09:40 PM
- Former WWE Diva Maria Kanellis noted on Twitter that she was doing a photoshoot for her new Signature line, products that will be available in stores everywhere soon. Presumably this is the clothing line that she has been working on.
- Stan sent word that there was 15 minutes and 40 seconds of in-ring action on this week's WWE NXT, down from last week's 19 minutes and 42 seconds.
- Don't count on Mistico keeping his mask when he starts working in WWE developmental. Alberto Del Rio told people back when he signed with WWE that they promised him he wouldn't have to unmask and shortly after he got called up to developmental, they took the mask off.
There's always a possibility WWE will keep Mistico under a mask, especially if they're looking to fill the Rey Mysterio void.
Wade Barrett Talks Unscripted Promos, Face/Heel
Posted by Dave Mitchell on 02/03/2011 at 04:44 PM
Here are some highlights of what The Corre leader Wade Barrett talked about during a recent interview with Postcrescent.com:
Unscripted Promos: "A lot of the times we’re shoved out in front of the camera and I may be out there talking for 10 minutes straight or doing it back and forth with someone for 10 or 15 minutes. A lot of times you are having to ad-lib."
"There’s no way anybody can memorize all the stuff we have to come out and say. Generally, I’ll have an idea of what’ I’m gonna say, but in terms of crowd interaction and things like that, sometimes the crowd will be chanting stuff at me, so I’ll want to say something in response to that. Sometimes whoever I’m talking with might throw me a curveball – like John Cena’s very good at ad-libbing. He used to throw a lot of curveballs at me when I was out there talking with him, so I have to be very much reactive to what’s going on around me."
The Most Painful Move He's Felt In WWE: "That would probably have to be Justin Gabriel’s 450 splash. It’s a spectacular looking move, but the velocity of him spinning around combined with the fact that he’s jumping 10-feet in the air or whatever it is, makes for a very heavy impact. That’s definitely one of the most painful moves I’ve ever had to take."
Is It Easier To Be A Face Or Heel?: "I think it purely depends on the individual. I know I’ve always felt more comfortable being an antagonist and on the few occasions in my career when I’ve tried to go out and be the fan favorite, back in my days in the U.K., I just never did a good job with it. I was always very bad at getting the fans to get behind me and cheer for me and clap for me, so I knew very early in my career that I would be a better antagonist than protagonist. … Some guys are better fit for certain roles and I think I’m a better fit as a heel."
USA Network Touts The Return of Tough Enough
Posted by Dave Mitchell on 02/03/2011 at 04:36 PM
The USA Network issued the following press release on Thursday:
USA’S EXCITING SPRING LINE-UP BRINGS REALITY, DRAMA AND A PREQUEL
TOUGH ENOUGH and Burn Notice: THE FALL OF SAM AXE Premiere in April, Followed by
The Tenth and Final Season of LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT and the Fourth Season of IN PLAIN SIGHT in May
Are you TOUGH ENOUGH to survive the winter? Spring ahead with the return of USA’s fan-favorite dramas LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT and IN PLAIN SIGHT and uncover the secrets of Burn Notice‘s Sam Axe before his mojito-filled Miami life. Don’t miss USA’s smoking hot spring line-up.
WWE TOUGH ENOUGH
Do you have what it takes to become the next WWE Superstar or Diva? A diverse group of men and women will live, train, eat and sleep under one roof in a house in Simi Valley, California. Each week the contestants will battle it out in a series of unique challenges designed to test for such characteristics as showmanship, creativity, athleticism and desire, just to name a few. Viewers will witness the trials and tribulations of what it takes to be one of the best in the world’s greatest sports entertainment organization. The grand prize winner will be awarded a contract with WWE. Hosted by WWE Hall of Famer “Stone Cold” Steve Austin®, each episode will feature a current WWE Superstar, who will introduce the contenders to a quality that they must possess to make it to the top of the sports entertainment world. Along the way, viewers will witness the trials and tribulations of what it takes to be one of the best in the world’s greatest sports entertainment organization.
Premieres Monday, April 4 at 11/10c on USA Network immediately following WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW®, and then will move to its regularly scheduled slot in primetime, Mondays at 8/7c, starting on April 11.
How Del Rio Nearly Quit WWE, Tonight's Superstars
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/03/2011 at 04:32 PM
-- JTG and Trent Barreta vs. Curt Hawkins and Tyler Reks is advertised for tonight's episode of WWE Superstars. Others matches scheduled to take place include Melina vs. Tamina; David Hart Smith and Yoshi Tatsu vs. Primo and Zack Ryder.
-- Alberto Del Rio's meteoric rise to a World Title Match at WrestleMania XXVII is a story that almost didn't happen.
According to sources within Florida Championship Wrestling, he indicated to WWE officials approximately a year ago that he was not pleased with being situated in the developmental promotion (which had reached several months by that point) and would be quitting the promotion to return to Mexico where he could earn a higher salary. When he signed a contract with WWE in June 2009, he was assured that he wouldn't stay in developmental for long. Officials tried to pacify him by allowing him to work live events with the main roster, and in part due to discussions at the time of his uncle, Mil Mascaras, being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. His performances caught the eye of top officials and he was ultimately called up to the main roster in June.
Similarly, Colt Cabana said during a recent Art of Wrestling podcast that when he was training in WWE's developmental system a few years ago with The Bella Twins, Nikki and Brie threatened to quit WWE if they weren't immediately brought on the road with the main roster.
Cabana stated, "They called up the office and said: 'Hey, if we don't go on the road we're quitting'. And the next day, they're on the road."
He added that he probably would have been fired if he made the same demand.
"I don't wanna do that," Cabana said. "If I call up and say, 'Put me on the road or I'm quitting', I'm gone."
The Bella Twins were promotional models John Laurinaitis offered developmental contracts to a year after their participation in the 2006 Diva Search. They have stated in interviews that they weren't wrestling fans growing up, with Brie once remarking "that she was hired to do this diva thing." Upon their contract agreement with WWE, they botched the organization's name, referring to it as 'Worldwide Wrestling Entertainment' on their MySpace page.
Details On Rey Mysterio Picking His Own Feud
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/03/2011 at 04:31 PM
It was reported Sunday that Rey Mysterio is working through an injury to his rotator cuff. He suffered the injury while working the SmackDown brand's most recent tour overseas. Doctors advised him not to fly due to an inner ear infection he was suffering from at the time but company officials asked him to work the tour anyway, assuring him that wouldn't have to work any matches. However, he was asked to wrestle while on tour, and complied, only to suffer an injury to his rotator cuff. There was much acrimony over the circumstances that led to the injury, to the point that creative had no ideas for him when his feud with Alberto Del Rio conclude.
Company officials tried make things up to Mysterio by allowing him to handpick his next opponent, which turned out to be "Dashing" Cody Rhodes. Current plans call for the storyline to continue through WrestleMania, with a likely encounter between the two.
Due to the injury, officials are limiting his in-ring work at television and pay-per-view events, as well as house shows. He's contained in tag matches when he does work non-televised events. Mysterio is said to be hopeful that he can avoid surgery through rehabilitation.
WM in Los Angeles, CM Punk's backyard wrestling
Posted by Roscoe De Soto on 02/03/2011 at 04:28 PM
- ESPN.com has a story up discussing the new Farmers Field facility, slated to open in 2015, and the possible events that could be held there. WrestleMania is one of the events that they are looking at holding in the new 64,000 seat arena when it opens.
- WWE superstar CM Punk was a guest on the 93X Half-Assed Morning Show on Thursday. One of the interesting things to come out of the appearance was Punk explaining how he got his start by wrestling in the backyard with his friends. He also talked on paying your dues, wrestling vs MMA, the Miz, and more. Be sure to check out the CM Punk interview by visiting 93X.com.
Kurt Angle returning to WWE this Summer?
Posted by Dave Mitchell on 02/03/2011 at 03:59 PM
TNA star Kurt Angle appeared on Canada's The Fight Show on Thursday afternoon and revealed that his current deal with TNA expires in August.
This is consistent with Kevin Nash's recent comments on ESPN radio earlier this week. Nash was asked whether he and Booker T returning to WWE could result in a new incarnation of the Main Event Mafia. Nash joked we could see it happen this summer, since Kurt Angle could be a free agent by then.
At this point, there have been no indications that WWE is interested in bringing Kurt Angle back. Angle has had favorable things to say about WWE in recent months, but he was having trouble keeping up with the WWE lifestyle back when he left several years ago and that would likely still be a big concern.
Here are a few Angle quotes from @thefightshow on Twitter:
"My contract (with TNA) is up in August. I will keep my options open"
"I have no plans of leaving, but I don't think Booker T and Kevin Nash did either."
"Up until 2-3 days before the Rumble, Booker and Kev were signed with TNA. They asked for their release"
Former WWE Writer Talks About Sting Joining WWE
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 03:24 PM
- Former WWE writer Dave Lagana has written about Sting joining WWE on his IWantWrestling.com blog and reveals Sting almost debuted at WrestleMania years ago. Here's what he wrote:
"Sting at Wrestlemania almost happened nine years ago. Wrestlemania 18 will always be remembered for the memorable Hogan vs. Rock battle in Toronto. That event also featured Triple H winning the undisputed World Title from Chris Jericho and Steve Austin facing NWO Scott Hall (w/Kevin Nash). Sting was approached that year to make his WWE debut and wrestle on the big event. Once he was introduced to the brand, it was pitched that at Wrestlemania 18 Sting would face Kurt Angle. If you remember, Kurt was eventually thrown into a match with Kane with little setup. The deal apparently fell apart as Sting wasn’t willing to work the full WWE schedule. Now nine years later, we might finally get to see Sting in WWE.
I’m the biggest proponent of pushing new talent in high profile positions. I see Wade Barrett as one of the shining stars of WWE in 2010. The table is set very nicely for new talents to be featured in main events of Wrestlemania this year with Alberto Del Rio and Miz. But what is lacking that “big fight dream match” to attracts casual fans. Last year we had Vince McMahon vs. Bret Hart and Undertaker vs. HBK “Streak vs. Career”; previous years featured Floyd Mayweather vs. Big Show, and Trump vs. McMahon. Based on the buzz off this simple 45-second video, the fans are voicing their opinion on what they want out of Wrestlemania 27. I don’t have any answers but we will all find out on 2/21/11. Ask yourself – is Sting vs. Undertaker the dream match you want for this year’s Wrestlemania?"
Former Diva Leaving Wrestling, Chyna Update
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 02:25 PM
- Former WWE and TNA talent Shelly Martinez posted a video on YouTube saying she is "breaking up" with the wrestling business.
She says she had a panic attack last Friday at the WrestleReunion convention in Los Angeles and compares the experience to a high school boyfriend who physically and mentally abused her to the point that she's now traumatized. She vowed to never let anyone abuse again her like that, and with the exception of Batista a few years ago (which reportedly triggered her departure from WWE), hadn't felt that way until last weekend.
- Jerry "The King" Lawler, "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase, Scotty 2 Hotty, The Hurricane, Bushwhacker Luke and Robbie McAllister from The Highlanders will be appearing at the Ultimate Championship Wrestling event in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada on April 28, 2011 (Thanks to Devin Cutting)
- Model House Talent has announced a 'bodybuilders division' and that former WWE Women's Champion Chyna has signed on as a talent.
Nash Blogs on Why He Left TNA and His Career
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/03/2011 at 07:00 AM
- Kevin Nash has opened a Tumblr blog and posted his first entry early this morning, talking about his departure from TNA and his return to WWE. Here's what he wrote:
I finally moved on to you……
The most significant aspect of anyone’s life is the relationships that they build. Sometimes in personal growth and closure, these relationships are strained, if not broken. In this past week, I had to break relationships in order to receive closure in others. I would first off thank Jeff Jarrett for inviting me back into the wrestling world upon my completion of ‘The Longest Yard’. Alot of people don’t realize what a close relationship Jeff and I have. In the dog days of the WWF, I’m sure we traveled more than a million miles together. What he went through with the loss of his wife Jill and the happiness he’s now found, while trying to keep TNA together, was amazing to witness. What Bob Carter did to make sure this dream stayed alive, I can only say Sir you have my utmost respect. To Serge and Dixie, who I consider my friends, I wish them continued success. And now the hardest part. To the Boyz, that means you too Knockouts, we’ve laughed, cried and bitched all along knowing how lucky we were to be pro-wrestlers. So few people get to truly go to work and do what they love. Me leaving TNA was a decision my wife and I made. For 23 years my wife has put up with this shit of ME making decisions of everyday life. 14 of those have affected my son. After 3 yrs of self doubt and thoughts of quitting the business, I met Vince McMahon and within 24 hrs of helping Shawn Michaels win the ICC, I MEANT something. And I haven’t looked back. The glass is way less than half full. My wife and I had a long discussion and I told her how important it was for me to end my career where I began. I think it took her 2 seconds to agree. I don’t know how many of you have seen Vanilla Sky. Don’t know if Boston was real or lucid dream. When they chanted Diesel, it sure as hell felt real for ME! You make decisions in life, sometimes never getting proof that it was the right decision. The crowd in Boston on Sunday night assured me that I MADE THE RIGHT DECISION. I can’t thank the WWE enough for making it happen for me. My true friends at TNA text and called with their love and support w/in hours. Don’t think it will ever be forgotten. Didn’t realize how much I missed Diesel.
Rumored Chamber Match, Luger to WWE?, Mistico
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 04:59 AM
- Alberto Del Rio vs. Kofi Kingston in singles action is possible for WWE's Elimination Chamber pay-per-view.
- Former World Champion Lex Luger is reportedly in talks with WWE for an appearance at WrestleMania 27 in Atlanta this year. No word yet on what Luger could be doing but it may be a Hall of Fame induction or something else.
- According to Super Luchas, one of the reasons Mistico is interested in joining WWE now is because he sees the push that they have given to Alberto Del Rio. Mistico has said that he wishes he would have signed with WWE when he had a chance back in 2007. Mistico is saying that he wants to make a name for himself in WWE.
RAW Rumble Draws WWE Fans, Chaperone Loses Fans
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 04:53 AM
- As noted before, the January 31st episode of WWE RAW scored a 3.48 cable rating with 5.29 million viewers. This was the most viewers for RAW since March 29th, 2009, the night after WrestleMania where Shawn Michaels gave his farewell. This was also the highest rated episode of RAW since August 30th, 2009, the 900th episode special.
This week's show opened strong with a 3.81 quarter rating. In a segment breakdown, Santino Marella & Vladimir Kozlov vs. Nexus lost 784,000 viewers, which is very bad for that point in the show. Randy Orton punt kicking Husky Harris and the confrontation with Ted DiBiase & Jerry Lawler gained 337,000 viewers.
Daniel Bryan vs. Tyson Kidd lost 304,000 viewers where Edge vs. The Miz gained 220,000 viewers in the 10pm segment. This is better than last week's Edge vs. Miz at 10pm segment but still low.
Eve Torres & Natalya vs. LayCool and the Usos vs. Mark Henry & The Great Khali dance-off lost 129,000 viewers. The preview of The Chaperone with Triple H lost 172,000 viewers while the RAW Rumble main event gained 1,198,000 viewers and did a 4.04 final quarter rating. This was the first time RAW had an overrun rating of over 4.0 in a while.
Nash Offers Dixie Advice, Says WWE Is His Priority
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 04:52 AM
- Kevin Nash has took to Twitter to defend his recent praise for WWE and offer some advice for Dixie Carter. He wrote the following last night:
"My 1st priority is WWE. Whatever they need and want me to do, I will. Vince brought me back. Boston crowd showed me the love. I bleed WWE!
I'm not kissing Vince's ass. I'm thanking him for letting me go out the way I feel I deserve to. Ever have a dream come true? I just did.
When wcw took over the WWE for the short time we did, it's bc Ted Turner paid HUGE $ for talent. Wanna put tna on the map, Mrs. Carter? Set aside $50m. Start with Cena and work backwards. Don't walk into a Mercedes showroom and ask what new AMG S-63 I can buy for $25K."
Former World Champ Retiring, WWE Roster Changes
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 04:47 AM
- Kevin Nash is scheduled to appear at the Dreamwave Wrestling internet pay-per-view this Saturday in La Sale, Illinois at the Knights of Columbus.
- It was noted on "Psycho" Sid Vicious' MySpace that the former World Champion is considering retirement. Sid, who was recently arrested on drug charges, has been working independent shows as of late but is still interested in one final run with WWE. He is also training for an upcoming bodybuilding contest, his second.
- WWE has finally added Alex Riley to the RAW roster finally while Paul Bearer and Joey Mercury have been removed from the SmackDown roster. At last word, Mercury was helping out in WWE developmental and Bearer was written off TV in Kane's feud with Edge.
Austin Meets with WWE Officials, All Stars Notes
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 04:44 AM
- There are very limited tickets left for the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony in Atlanta during WrestleMania 27 weekend.
- THQ had WWE All Stars setup backstage in the locker room at Sunday's WWE Royal Rumble so WWE talents and officials could try the game out.
- Steve Austin met with officials from WWE and Tough Enough yesterday in Venice, California. Austin wrote on Twitter: "had a great meeting with Tough Enough and WWE folks today...this show is going to be very cool and and thats the bottom line..."
RAW Superstar Busted Up, Keibler Back on Chuck
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 04:40 AM
- A pre-sale for WWE's SmackDown live event in East Lansing, Michigan on March 27th begins this morning. The code is WWE1. The main event of that show will be Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Wade Barrett in a four-way.
- Former WWE Diva Stacy Keibler will be returning to NBC's Chuck this season. Stacy will reprise her role as secret agent Greta, a running character, in a episode where the mystery of Greta will be revealed.
- Alex Riley suffered a minor injury to the right side of his face at this past Monday's RAW in Providence, Rhode Island.
Nixed Online Game Update, Stream Sites Shut Down
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 04:38 AM
- Paul Bearer will be hosting a funeral parlor segment on Saturday, February 26th in Dundalk, Maryland for the Maryland Championship Wrestling promotion. Bearer will also be signing autographs and taking photos with fans.
- US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents issued warrants and shut down 10 websites yesterday accused of stealing and streaming live TV broadcasts including NFL games and pay-per-view events by WWE and UFC. Court documents cited several recent instances of sites offering illegal streams, including WWE's TLC pay-per-view.
The warrants are so Internet domain gatekeepers can stop the sites while federal agents try to identify operators and charge them with copyright infringement. ICE Director John T. Morton said that the crackdown was intended to send a clear message to website owners "who mistakenly believe it's worth the risk to take copyrighted programming and portray it as their own."
- As noted before, the planned WWE online game has been nixed by THQ after announcing financial losses. It should be noted that the game was being planned for a release in Asia and according to THQ executives last year, the game was never planned to be released in the US or Europe.
TLC Buyrate, More on MVP's Japan Debut, Maria News
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 04:34 AM
- Former WWE Diva Maria Kanellis is playing a zombie in Purple Plague, which is apparently a mini-movie that Pretend for Real Studios is working on.
- As noted before, Kimbo Slice has pulled out of his pro wrestling debut for Antonio Inoki's Inoki Genome Federation in Japan this coming weekend because of an injury he suffered while training. Slice is being replaced on the show by Bob Sapp.
- The final numbers for WWE's 2010 Tables, Ladders and Chairs pay-per-view has the show doing 211,000 worldwide buys and 108,000 in North America.
- As noted before, MVP has signed a one-year deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling and will make his debut on February 20th. MVP will be teaming with Nosawa to take on Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma. New Japan had to go through lots of red tape to get MVP a working Visa because of Japan's anti-felon policy when it comes to Visas.
Rikishi Unhappy with Segment, Spotlighting DiBiase
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/03/2011 at 12:06 AM
- Prior to the match pitting Mark Henry and The Great Khali against Jimmy and Jey Uso on Raw, The brand's General Manager switched the bout to a dance-off. The World's Strongest Man and The Punjabi Playboy notched the victory with their unorthodox dance moves.
Former WWE star Rikishi, father of the Uso brothers, took to Twitter to express his unhappiness for the angle.
"My thoughts on my sons' dance off? Didn't really need it," he wrote. "Creative Team WTF!! Its not that hard to figure in talent."
He added, "Tag Teams in the WWE are not really the focus as we can see. Soon Usos will be in singles."
- All March on WWE Classics, the legendary career of the "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase will be spotlighted. WrestleMania IV, which featured DiBiase vs. Randy Savage, will also be featured.
WWE Videogame Scrapped, Heyman & MVP In NYC
Posted by Dave Mitchell on 02/02/2011 at 11:04 PM
(Partial Soure: PWInsider.com)
-- Paul Heyman and former WWE star MVP recently met together in New York City. TMZ.com cameras caught up with them, ran the footage of the meeting on their Wednesday episode and mentioned how MVP will be wrestling in Japan soon.
-- Prior to Tuesday's WWE SmackDown tapings from Long Island, New York, local indy wrestler Max Bauer received a tryout against Percy Watson. Bauer has been on WWE's radar for a while and was recently the champion of North Eastern promotion NECW.
-- WWE's video game publishing partner THQ held its quarterly earnings conference call today and announced that the planned online WWE video game has been dropped. According to Reuters.com, THQ's earnings were down 11% from the same quarter last year.
HOF'er Getting a Book/DVD?, Savage in All Stars
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/02/2011 at 07:56 PM
- While it was THQ's call to feature Randy Savage in the All Stars video game, WWE has to approve any character they want in the game. The video game company approached Savage on their own, as well as Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior, and had Vince McMahon approve all three character proposals.
As the game's promotional tagline "Two Generations. One Ring." implies, the game features current and former WWE Superstar competing in fast-paced wrestling matches.
- WWE Hall of Famer Greg "The Hammer" Valentine said during an interview published in the latest issue of Inside Wrestling that he recently reached a new merchandising agreement with World Wrestling Entertainment. He noted that WWE plans on releasing a book and DVD chronicling his lengthy wrestling career, as well as a Mattel action figure.
Top DVD's, Steve Austin's Return Tough Enough
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/02/2011 at 07:34 PM
- The four most shipped WWE DVD's of 2010 were WrestleMania 26 with 260,000 units shipped. The Undertaker DVD shipped 152,000, The John Cena Experience shipped 149,000 units and the Shawn Michaels set shipped 141,000 units.
The returns on DVD's shipped were higher than the previous year. The WrestleMania DVD probably only sold around 148,000 units of those 260,000 shipped. Taker's DVD sold around 87,000, the Cena DVD sold around 85,000 and the HBK DVD sold around 80,000.
- The deal to bring Steve Austin in for WWE Tough Enough was made by the production company Shed Media Inc., not WWE. WWE did attempt to get Austin and wanted him for the role and while talks had gone on for some time, it was Shed Media who got him.
Mark Henry Skit on RAW, Hart Foundation, Goldust
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/02/2011 at 07:32 PM
- Goldust is looking to return from his torn rotator cuff surgery in June.
- A source close to the situation notes that there may be something to the way the former members of The Hart Foundation were booked in the last week with David Hart Smith being pulled from the Royal Rumble, Natalya losing her Divas Title out of the blue and Hornswoggle giving Tyson Kidd an Attitude Adjustment.
- The skit on RAW a few weeks back with NXT Rookie Derrick Bateman and Mark Henry was an internal joke towards Henry because he has the reputation of smelling worse while sweating than anyone else in the company.
Survivor Series Update, Cody Selling Injuries
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/02/2011 at 07:31 PM
- WWE's shop website averaged 2,097 orders per day in December of 2010. This number is up from December of 2009.
- WWE.com had 13.1 million unique visitors in December, almost equal to the 13 million in December of 2009. However, it's down from 14.3 million in October of 2010 and 13.7 million in November of 2010.
- Cody Rhodes has been selling his storyline injury on the road in public as he's wearing a band-aid on his nose.
- As noted before, WWE is looking at changing the Survivor Series again this year. Internally on pay-per-view listings, Survivor Series is still on the books but there is a side note that says "New Name/Concept TBD."
Mysterio's WrestleMania Plans, Royal Rumble Notes
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/02/2011 at 07:31 PM
- This year's Royal Rumble in Boston was a sellout with 15,113 fans announced, 12,000 paying for $850,000.
- This year's Rumble 40-Man match actually went 69 minutes and 11 seconds, just 11 seconds short from the 69 minutes and 22 second record set in 2002.
- As noted before, Rey Mysterio is expected to be a part of Money in the Bank this year at WrestleMania, unless they decide to drop the match from the show. WWE officials are going back and forth on putting Rey in Money in the Bank or a singles match with Cody Rhodes.
Booker T's Talks with WWE and the Future
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/02/2011 at 07:30 PM
- Booker T's talks with WWE about a return go back to the Tables, Ladders and Chairs pay-per-view in Houston, Texas in December. Booker was backstage visiting and expressed interest in returning. No contract was signed then and while he kept talking with TNA, a deal was in place with WWE for him to be a Royal Rumble surprise.
As noted last night, Booker T will now be an announcer on Friday Night SmackDown. Booker is expected to do the occasional storyline and match, similar to Jerry Lawler.
Update on Sting's Current Situation
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/02/2011 at 05:13 PM
- Well informed sources with World Wrestling Entertainment do not believe Steve "Sting" Borden has signed a contract. That's not to say Sting can't sign at some point, but it does not appear as though he has at the moment.
It appears Sting is still a free agent as sources within TNA aren't aware of him re-signing with the company. For what it's worth, he's still listed on the TNA website roster page.
RAW Before WrestleMania, Big Show DVD Set
- In addition to Triple H being booked for the March 28th RAW from Illinois, the entire SmackDown roster is booked and being advertised. As noted before, this is the final RAW before WrestleMania and Triple H is scheduled to team with John Cena, Edge and Randy Orton to take on The Miz, CM Punk, Wade Barrett and Alberto Del Rio.
- Link below is the trailer for WWE's upcoming DVD on Big Show. A Giant's World is scheduled to be released on February 22nd:
Chyna Become a Teacher, Daniel Bryan Signing
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/02/2011 at 02:14 PM
- In an interview with TMZ, Chyna revealed that she is currently enrolled in language classes at UCLA night school. She's studying to teach English as a second language to kids in Japan.
"I love TV but I'm ready to move on," she said. "I'm glad I've finally figured out what I want to do."
- Speaking of Japan, Gregory Helms is working for IGF this week.
- Daniel Bryan is due to sign for ticketholders outside of the Savemart Center Arena taping on February 21st from 11AM-2PM.
Dibiase/Maryse Storyline, WrestleMania Story
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/02/2011 at 01:58 PM
- WWE began airing promos for The True Story of WrestleMania DVD set on last night's NXT. The DVD set is scheduled to come out on March 15th. The selling point for the DVD is behind-the-scenes footage and sitdown interviews related to important WrestleMania events.
- WWE furthered the RAW storyline between Ted DiBiase and Maryse on last night's NXT. Maryse distracted DiBiase and flirted with Todd Grisham during DiBiase's match against his former Rookie Brodus Clay. This led to Clay getting the win.
Speaking of Clay, his Pro Alberto Del Rio was not on last night's show but Ricardo Rodriguez took over his duties. It was said that Del Rio was too busy after winning the Royal Rumble to be there.
WWE Royal Rumble Entrance Times
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/02/2011 at 01:46 PM
- While WWE promoted that the Superstars would enter the ring for Sunday night's Royal Rumble match at every 90 seconds, that's not what happened. Reader Armando H. sent the following times in between entrances. The longest gap was the 23rd Entrant, Hornswoggle, at 2 minutes and 22 seconds. The shortest gap was the 4th Entrant, Zack Ryder's entrance, at 1 minute and 20 seconds.
- 1:30 - Entrant #3
- 1:20 - Entrant #4
- 1:30 - Entrant #5
- 1:47 - Entrant #6
- 1:30 - Entrant #7
- 2:01 - Entrant #8
- 1:37 - Entrant #9
- 1:22 - Entrant #10
- 1:40 - Entrant #11
- 1:30 - Entrant #12
- 1:26 - Entrant #13
- 1:31 - Entrant #14
- 1:30 - Entrant #15
- 1:30 - Entrant #16
- 1:30 - Entrant #17
- 1:30 - Entrant #18
- 1:30 - Entrant #19
- 1:23 - Entrant #20
- 1:31 - Entrant #21
- 2:09 - Entrant #22
- 2:22 - Entrant #23
- 2:06 - Entrant #24
- 1:30 - Entrant #25
- 1:36 - Entrant #26
- 1:30 - Entrant #27
- 1:39 - Entrant #28
- 1:50 - Entrant #29
- 1:38 - Entrant #30
- 1:32 - Entrant #31
- 1:29 - Entrant #32
- 1:31 - Entrant #33
- 1:31 - Entrant #34
- 1:30 - Entrant #35
- 1:43 - Entrant #36
- 1:36 - Entrant #37
- 1:38 - Entrant #38
- 1:30 - Entrant #39
- 1:34 - Entrant #40
WWE COO Replacement, Former WWE Star Rips TNA
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/02/2011 at 01:25 PM
- The January 29th episode of WWE's AM RAW scored a 0.37 rating with 440,000 viewers.
- Former WWE star Ken Doane (Kenny Dykstra) took to Twitter this week and knocked TNA for their "they" storyline, bringing up WWE. He wrote:
"how did TNA know "THEY" were coming? think tna thought "THEY" would be in the WWE Rumble? LOL! Dont know why tna promos always have to remind us of wwe. wwe never reminds us of tna. Maybe tna's version of "they" was the SQUAD! oh wait we pitched that to them and they didnt like it."
- As noted before, WWE COO Donna Goldsmith is on her way out of the company. It's believed that she will be replaced by the current Executive VP of Marketing Michelle Wilson but that's not confirmed.
WWE Signs New Five Year TV Deal
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/02/2011 at 12:24 PM
- WWE announced that the company has extended it's relationship with J Sports Broadcasting Corporation in Japan for five more years. J Sports will continue to have exclusive pay-per-view broadcast rights and will air six first-run hours of WWE programming.
The programming deal includes Raw, Smackdown, NXT, and WWE Superstars.
Nash Says He'll Retire As Diesel, Puts Over Vince
Posted by Dave Mitchell on 02/02/2011 at 12:02 PM
Following his surprise return to WWE at Sunday's Royal Rumble pay-per-view, we reported earlier this week that Kevin Nash has signed a new "Legends" contract with World Wrestling Entertainment.
The former WWE and WCW champion went on Twitter on Tuesday night and explained the reason he's decided to finish his career off in WWE - as Diesel. He also had some major praise for WWE chairman Vince McMahon, saying Vince is the man who was instrumental in making him the household name that he is today. Nash wrote:
"To explain why I want to retire as Diesel: Vince McMahon was the 1st person to ever see anything in me and believe in me. He gave me my 1st push and made me a star. Without Vince there is no Diesel. Without Diesel Kevin Nash is a mediocre basketball player from the University of Tennessee."
Nash acknowledged the staggering crowd reaction he received at Sunday's Royal Rumble pay-per-view, saying that it was bigger than any pop he's received in a long, long time.
"The biggest pop I've received since '97 happened Sunday night. Diesel's back, where he belongs. Circle of Life."
SmackDown's Elimination Chamber & Edge-Ziggler
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/02/2011 at 11:28 AM
A few notes from the SmackDown spoilers last night:
- Edge vs. Dolph Ziggler for the World Heavyweight Title with Vickie Guerrero as the special referee will take place on the February 11th SmackDown.
- In an update from the earlier post, Edge and Ziggler were added to the Elimination Chamber match which makes the current line-up look like this:
WWE Title Match
Jerry Lawler vs. The Miz
RAW Elimination Chamber
John Cena vs. Randy Orton vs. Sheamus vs. John Morrison vs. R-Truth vs. CM Punk
Winner gets a title shot at WrestleMania
SmackDown Elimination Chamber
World Heavyweight Champion Edge vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Wade Barrett
Booker T Feud Nixed, WWE Superstars Note
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/02/2011 at 07:56 AM
– Following Booker T’s well received performance at the Royal Rumble, creative broached a three-week program between the returning Superstar and King Sheamus. The idea, however, was quickly dropped.
– JTG and Trent Barreta vs. Curt Hawkins and Tyler Reks was taped tonight in Long Island, New York for this week’s episode of WWE Superstars.
Nash/Austin Meeting With WWE, Nexus Storyline
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/02/2011 at 07:44 AM
- Steve Austin noted on Twitter that he will be meeting with officials regarding WWE Tough Enough today. Austin asked fans for any ideas or suggestions they may have for the show. As noted before, Kevin Nash is also scheduled to meet with WWE officials today regarding the future.
- Following Randy Orton's punt kick to Husky Harris on RAW, WWE has announced that the Nexus member is out of action indefinitely. WWE is hyping a response from CM Punk for the kick on next Monday's RAW.
There has been speculation that Husky, despite his talent, isn't going over so well with WWE officials because of his size and look. Some are wondering where Husky will fit into things if a 3-on-3 match with Nexus vs. The Corre takes place at WrestleMania.
Money in the Bank Latest, NXT Updates, WWE Figures
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/02/2011 at 07:43 AM
- Former WWE star Romeo Roselli proposed to his girlfriend on the red carpet of the Screen Actor Guild Awards in Los Angeles. The proposal was covered by CBS' The Insider the next night. Roselli, who still wrestles on the independents some, is also working as an actor in New York City.
- Mattel has revealed the latest series in their WWE action figure line and it features Triple H, Dolph Ziggler, John Cena, Kofi Kingston, Zack Ryder and Wade Barrett. Mattel is also working on a Legends action figure for Kevin Nash as Diesel.
- The next WWE NXT elimination will take place on next Tuesday night's show. After next week, there will only be three Rookies left from this season. Going into next week's elimination, Johnny Curtis has 3 immunity points, Derrick Bateman has 2 while Brodus Clay and Byron Saxton have 0.
- The latest word on Money in the Bank is that WWE officials are looking to hold the match at WrestleMania 27 after all. There was speculation that they would do away with the match because of the pay-per-view later this year. Rey Mysterio is expected to be in the match this year with guys like Daniel Bryan, Big Show, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler and others.
Kimbo Slice Update, more
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/02/2011 at 07:42 AM
- Kimbo Slice has pulled out of his pro wrestling debut on February 5th in Japan for WWE Hall of Famer Antonio Inoki's promotion. Slice is claiming he was injured in practice.
- Former WWE star Gene Snitsky noted on Twitter he would be appearing on ABC's What Would You Do? show this Friday night at 9pm EST.
Hall in Court, Candice Teases News and more
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/02/2011 at 07:41 AM
- WWE Hall of Famer Jesse Ventura will release his book "63 Documents the Government Doesn't Want You to Read" this coming April. This will be The Body's 4th book.
- Former WWE Diva Candice Michelle said on Twitter that she will be announcing some "very exciting news" on February 14th via her official Facebook page at facebook.com/CandiceMichelle.
- Scott Hall appeared in a Florida courtroom this week to answer charges on a probation violation stemming from his public intoxication and resisting an officer charges last year. Hall received a continuance until March 7th. The judge is allowing Hall to travel to Texas for the treatment we reported on Monday and was ordered to keep in contact with his probation officer and lawyer.
- WWE Hall of Famer Sgt. Slaughter appeared on the local Fox affiliate in Atlanta this past weekend to promote WrestleMania 27. See link below for a video of the interview:
Big Dick Johnson Update, Ricardo Speared, Orton
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/02/2011 at 07:40 AM
- Former WWE creative writer Chris DeJoseph and the man known as Big Dick Johnson is now on Twitter at @chrisdejoseph. He departed from WWE back in November of last year and said on Twitter that he would be available for interviews after March 10th.
Another former WWE writer, Alex Greenfield is also now on Twitter at @alexdgreenfield. He was hired by WWE back in 2005 and released in 2007 I believe.
- Randy Orton will be appearing tomorrow, Thursday, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, DC for the DC Auto Show. Orton appears at 6pm.
- The dark main event after last night's SmackDown tapings in Long Island, New York saw Kane and Alberto Del Rio defeat Edge and Rey Mysterio when Del Rio pinned Edge. After the match, Edge hit Ricardo Rodriguez with a spear.
Spoiler: Updates to WWE's Elimination Chamber PPV
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/01/2011 at 10:57 PM
- Coming out of tonight's WWE SmackDown tapings, here is the updated card for WWE's Elimination Chamber pay-per-view later this month:
WWE Title Match
Jerry Lawler vs. The Miz
RAW Elimination Chamber
John Cena vs. Randy Orton vs. Sheamus vs. John Morrison vs. R-Truth vs. CM Punk
Winner gets a title shot at WrestleMania
SmackDown Elimination Chamber
Drew McIntyre vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kane vs. Wade Barrett vs. TBD
Spoiler: Booker T's New Role In WWE Revealed
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/01/2011 at 09:11 PM
- At tonight's WWE SmackDown tapings in Long Island, New York, Booker T returned to the spotlight in his new WWE role.
Booker is the newest member of the SmackDown broadcast team with Josh Matthews and Michael Cole.
HHH Teaming with Top WWE Stars Before WrestleMania
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/01/2011 at 08:39 PM
For the WWE Raw event that will be held on March 28 in Chicago, Ill. Triple H is advertised in an eight-man tag main event. Hunter will team with Randy Orton, Edge, and John Cena to face the team of The Miz, C.M. Punk, Alberto Del Rio, and Wade Barrett.
Morrison Impresses Critics, RAW Rating Improves
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/01/2011 at 07:51 PM
- As reported several weeks ago, John Morrison has his critics in WWE, but his performance at the Royal Rumble certainly opened a lot of people's eyes.
- The RAW rating was a 3.5, which incidentally is WWE's best number since before football season kicked off.
Bieber WrestleMania Latest, Jimmy Hart Note
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/01/2011 at 07:28 PM
- WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Hart has been working on a number of wrestling related reality TV projects as of late. One project focused on independent wrestlers trying to make it in the business. They recently filmed footage with the Florida Wrestling Underground promotion.
- Several gossip sites are reporting today that Justin Bieber's representatives have been talking with WWE about WrestleMania 27 for months and that a deal may be reached soon. If a deal is reached, Bieber will be performing at the big show in Atlanta.
Edge-Elimination Chamber Update, Martha Hart
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/01/2011 at 07:27 PM
- A pre-sale for the March 28th WWE RAW in Rosemont, Illinois at the Allstate Center kicks off tomorrow morning. The password is CHIRTV.
- For what it's worth, as of Sunday Edge was booked to go into the Elimination Chamber as the World Heavyweight Champion. Edge's title will be on the line this Friday night on SmackDown.
- There was a hearing on January 12th regarding Martha Hart's lawsuit against WWE, Vince McMahon and Linda McMahon. The judge heard arguments from both sides about previously filed motions that requested the other side's arguments be dismissed and the court rule in their favor. The judge took each motion under advisement and will make a decision later.
Jim Ross Blog: Sting-WWE, Nash & Booker T
Posted by Dave Mitchell on 02/01/2011 at 06:44 PM
WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross has updated his blog, which you can read in its entirety at JRsBarBQ.com. Here are some highlights of what JR said about:
Kevin Nash & Booker T Returning To WWE: "Good to see that Kevin Nash might be working out something to remain associated with WWE to some undetermined degree. Nash is a good talker, a smart guy, and has name identity that can be utilized in a variety of marketing ventures within the company. As I previously wrote, Kevin Nash can help WWE in many ways even if he never wrestles again."
"Booker T, who has talked of becoming a TV broadcaster in WWE for quite some time, would be potentially good in that role if he can master the skills that it takes at the ringside announce desk. The job is daunting but doable and Booker is a witty, glib guy who understands the business. At this stage of the game I see Booker T's long term tenure with WWE as a 'talker' of which can take many forms and not as a full time wrestler."
"Nonetheless I'm happy that apparently both Nash and Booker might wrap up their respective careers in WWE which seems to be fitting. Obviously any thing can happen that might alter that speculation but hopefully both men can return to the WWE fold and help the company in the aforementioned variety of ways."
Sting To WWE? "Amazing that some fans actually swear that there is going to be an Undertaker vs. Sting match this year at Wrestlemania 27 in Atlanta. I would be shocked if that occurred but at the same time everyone has the right to fantasize about dream matches that they personally want to see. I still say that there would likely be a large part of the WWE TV audience that only watches WWE that would have to become familiar with the Stinger's body of work. Not that it couldn't be done, it could, but that matter would have to be addressed."
"Cutting to the chase, I don't see Sting in WWE any time soon and especially not in the ring vs. the Undertaker in the Georgia Dome. I do think that Sting would be well served to explore potential marketing opportunities with WWE especially considering that all his 'greatest hits' which were in WCW are now owned by WWE."
Signing Sting WWE's Top Priority, "2 21 1" Video
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/01/2011 at 05:08 PM
-- According to sources within World Wrestling Entertainment, organization officials' top priority heading into 2011 was signing multi-time champion Steve Borden (a/k/a Sting) to a contract.
As reported earlier, TNA Wrestling sources indicate that Borden did not sign a new deal for 2011. The majority feeling within the Nashville based organization is that he is bound for World Wrestling Entertainment, although nobody knows that as a fact.
The New York Daily News notes in today's edition that Borden has 'reportedly' signed a one-year contract with WWE. The reported signing, however, has yet to be confirmed elsewhere.
-- WWE began running vignettes last night on Raw teasing the return or debut of a mysterious figure wearing a black trench coat on "2 21 11." Original plans called for the video to air once, but Vince McMahon called an audible during the broadcast to play it again.
Update on the Sting and Undertaker rumors
Posted by Roscoe De Soto on 02/01/2011 at 03:19 PM
According to Dave Meltzer, TNA sources indicated that Sting has not signed a new deal with the company for 2011 and were under the impression that he was WWE-bound. While nobody knew this for a fact, this was the feeling.
An official WWE video posted by the Save Mart Center hyping up The Undertaker's return for the 2/21 RAW was quickly removed this morning.
Rumor on Sting to WWE, Movies for Stacy Keibler
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/01/2011 at 02:51 PM
- Former WWE Diva Stacy Keibler will be starring in a dark comedy movie called Dysfunctional Friends later this year and a Hallmark romantic comedy called Fixing Pete.
- For what it's worth, The New York Daily News' wrestling column today reported that Sting has signed a one-year contract with WWE. There has been no confirmation on this news from WWE or any other sources so take it for what it's worth for now.
The superstar behind 2/21/11 already revealed?
Posted by Roscoe De Soto on 02/01/2011 at 01:46 PM
It appears that the mystery man behind the 2-21-11 video that aired on RAW has already been accidentally revealed.
SaveMartCenter.com, the website for the arena in Fresno, CA that is hosting that night's RAW, has the following message advertised in bold letters with yellow outline:
THE RETURN OF THE UNDERTAKER
Bischoff on Nash & Booker, Shane McMahon News
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/01/2011 at 01:31 PM
- Minnesota Twins star Brendan Harris was in New York state this weekend with WWE Legend Hacksaw Jim Duggan, helping to raise money for Ronald McDonald House charities. Harris wrote on Twitter: "He's even bigger in person. He’s the best. If you’re not a fan of Hacksaw, you probably don’t like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or America."
- Actress and singer Jennifer Hudson, wife of David Otunga, was backstage at the Royal Rumble on Sunday.
- Shane McMahon has been working in China on a new pay-per-view company.
- Eric Bischoff mentioned Booker T and Kevin Nash in the opener of last night's TNA iMPACT tapings. Bischoff said they both wouldn't be here and said Nash called him, but he told him to take the money, get a new action figure, dye his hair and "do it." Regarding Booker T, Bischoff asked, "who cares what he's doing?"
DVD Coming Out, Edge Using Christian's Finisher
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/01/2011 at 01:24 PM
- Former WWE Diva Lauren C. Mayhew will be performing at the Aqua Lounge in Beverly Hills this Thursday night.
- Chris Jericho noted on Twitter that the delivery date for his new Undisputed book on Amazon.com pre-orders has been moved up to Friday, February 4th - 10 days ahead of schedule.
- WWE's website pointed out Sunday night that Edge was paying tribute to his former tag team partner Christian at the Royal Rumble when he used the Killswitch to defeat Dolph Ziggler in the World Heavyweight Title match. As noted before, Christian should be returning to action soon.
- WWE's Biggest Knuckleheads DVD, hosted by Big Show, will be released in stores across North America on February 8th. The DVD was previously released back in November as a Walmart exclusive with WWE Studios' Knucklehead DVD.
Stacy Keibler on Transition from WWE to Hollywood
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/01/2011 at 11:39 AM
Thanks to the Wrestling Globe Newsletter for the following...
- Stacy Keibler touched upon transitioning from WWE to acting in an interview with Hollywood Today. "When I first moved to Hollywood it wasn’t as easy as I thought it was going to be,” she said. "I moved her all by myself and didn’t have any friends and family out here. I was pretty lucky when I came here. I was in wrestling. I was on the cover of some magazines. I got an agent right off the bat. I was lucky to get someone who really cared about me and wanted to help me grow.”
She says she prefers the life of an actor and has no plans to return to wrestling. "The WWE…I did it for eight years. It’s very much theater. Everyone is playing a character. It’s great to be out there doing that, but it’s almost the opposite of what I found when I moved to L.A. Acting is very small and intimate and emotional.”
Chris Jericho Hints at Imminent WWE Return
Posted by Amish Patel on 02/01/2011 at 11:32 AM
- During an interview with Brian Fritz of Fanhouse.com, Chris Jericho said that he may be returning to the ring soon. "I consider it always because it's not like it was in 2005 where I was sick of wrestling." Jericho told Fanhouse. "Sick of it is maybe a harsh word. Disenchanted, I guess, is a better word.
"I wasn't disenchanted when I left in September. It was just my contract was up. That was it. And there were other things just waiting to come through. Even if I was coming back, I always would have taken those four months, three months off to do the Fozzy tours. Then other things have kind of popped up to delay my return."
On his contractual status with WWE Jericho said: "I mean, there's a deal on the table, he said. "A deal on the table that's 90-percent done. There's a couple of minor things that we had to hammer out. It would just be a matter of what other stuff is going on and how that stuff is going."
Visit Fanhouse.com for more.
WM 27 Updates Including Matches, Bieber
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/01/2011 at 05:45 AM
Coming out of last night's RAW and the Royal Rumble, here's what's planned for WrestleMania 27 as of now:
- John Cena vs. The Miz, likely for the WWE Title
- Alberto Del Rio vs. Edge for the World Heavyweight Title
- The Undertaker vs. Wade Barrett
- Randy Orton vs. CM Punk
- The Corre vs. Nexus, in likely a 3-on-3 match
- Triple H vs. Sheamus
Jerry Lawler is also scheduled to be a part of WrestleMania and wrestle. Look for his current storyline with Michael Cole to peak in Atlanta.
In the case of Taker vs. Barrett, if Taker can't work a singles match there is a backup plan of Kane and Taker vs. the four members of The Corre. No word where this would leave Nexus but it might not happen as Taker is telling everyone he will be ready to go.
As far as celebrities for the big show, it's been noted that WWE has not announced one yet and they usually do the RAW after the Rumble. WWE is still trying to get Justin Bieber to come, which is why Alberto Del Rio made the reference to Bieber on RAW last night.
Nash Reveals New Deal with WWE, Triple H & More
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/01/2011 at 05:34 AM
- Kevin Nash appeared on ESPN Radio's Pro Wrestling Report, available at pwrshow.com, last night to talk about his return to WWE and more.
Nash noted that WWE flew him out of Daytona Beach, Florida so it would be easier on him. He said if TNA would have flown him out of the state, he would have to have driven from his home to Orlando, 90 miles, opposed to the few miles when traveling with WWE. Nash talked about how nice his accommodations were while staying in Boston.
The former World Champion noted that he signed paperwork and had a physical upon arriving to the arena. Nash said he spent about a half-hour with Triple H before shooting photos and video with WWE staff. He then met with Vince McMahon before hanging out with Triple H and Stephanie McMahon, where he went over plans for the Rumble with Triple H.
Nash also noted that he talked with people from THQ, makers of SmackDown vs. RAW and All Stars, while he was at the Rumble.
Nash said that he is signed to a Legends contract and will meet with WWE officials on Wednesday of this week to talk about what's next. Under the Legends deal, Nash will likely be involved with things like action figures and DVD's.
Hornswoggle's Rumble Appearance, Scott Hall Update
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/01/2011 at 05:32 AM
- A press release was sent out this week noting that Scott Hall, who apparently has been living healthier, is headed to Houston, Texas for rehab where he will be treated for his heart and psychiatric care. The release also noted that once he's done with rehab, Hall plans on attending the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony in Atlanta where his friend Shawn Michaels will be the headliner. WWE is likely paying for Hall's upcoming treatment.
- WWE has released the new t-shirt for The Corre as well as new WrestleMania 27 merchandise.
- It was Vince McMahon's idea to have Hornswoggle featured with John Cena in the Royal Rumble on Sunday. Word is that Vince thought Hornswoggle being center stage in the Rumble would be a good way of re-introducing his character. Expect to see more of Hornswoggle over the next few weeks or months.
SmackDown Tapings, Mistico Update, Cena's DVD
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/01/2011 at 05:18 AM
- WWE will air a two-hour special from recent The John Cena Experience DVD set on pay-per-view beginning on March 1st.
- Big Show will be appearing tomorrow, Wednesday the 2nd, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, DC for the DC Auto Show. Show will begin signing autographs at 6pm.
- The EMLL promotion in Mexico sent out a press release saying that despite the reports of Mistico signing with WWE, he is still under contract to them and will work all of his commitments.
- WWE will tape tonight's NXT and this week's SmackDown from the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Long Island, New York tonight. Announced for SmackDown is Edge and Kelly Kelly vs. Layla, Michelle McCool and Dolph Ziggler with Edge's World Title on the line. Advertised locally is Edge and Rey Mysterio vs. Kane and Alberto Del Rio with Big Show as the special referee.
Hacksaw & the WWE HOF, WWE at Charlotte Checkers
Posted by Steve Carrier on 02/01/2011 at 05:03 AM
- Several readers sent word that the "2 21 11" video did indeed air during RAW in Canada last night.
- It will be WWE SmackDown Night at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina for the Charlotte Checkers vs. Norfolk Admirals hockey game on Monday, April 4th at 6pm. There will be a meet-and-greet with a WWE Superstar.
- It was noted before that Hacksaw Jim Duggan told fans at a recent autograph signing that he was going into the WWE Hall of Fame in Atlanta this year. Hacksaw was asked about this and the rumored Royal Rumble appearance on Twitter recently and told a fan not to believe everything you read, but believe some of it. Hacksaw also re-tweeted a fan congratulating him on going into the Hall this year.
Kevin Nash talks more about his WWE return
Posted by Roscoe De Soto on 02/01/2011 at 02:02 AM
Kevin Nash posted the following Monday night on Twitter:
"I want to thank everyone at WWE. All the fans in Boston. For giving me a night I will never forget. (GroundHog Day) I'll relive that 1 over. As long as WWE will have me in wrestling capacity and my body can handle it, I will wrestle. It's what I do! Best decision of my life. When Vince McMahon is the boss and your best friend and his wife run creative and you see each other and hug and there is true emotion.... Contracts aren't needed. I will do whatever I'm asked. I was welcomed back into the Family last night. I wont make mistake of leaving again!"
What Happened After RAW Went Off The Air
Posted by Dave Mitchell on 02/01/2011 at 12:11 AM
Reader Ryan Hanley sent in this live recap of what happened after Monday's RAW went off the air:
After Raw went off the air, Jerry Lawler thanked the crowd in Providence, saying he wanted to invite everyone down to the ring to celebrate. He couldn't do that, so he invited The Miz down to celebrate.
Miz and Riley entered the ring and mocked the crowd for supporting King. Miz said, "All I have to say is this" to King, and went for a cheap shot. King blocked and threw Miz and Riley out of the ring.
A bit more celebration from King as the arena continued to empty out to conclude the TV taping.
Two Matches Revealed For WWE Elimination Chamber
Posted by Andy Steven on 01/31/2011 at 11:48 PM
Following tonight's edition of WWE Raw, below is the lineup for WWE Elimination Chamber:
WWE Championship Match
- The Miz (c) vs. Jerry Lawler
Raw Elimination Chamber Match
Winner gets WWE Championship Match at Wrestlemania XXVII
- Sheamus vs. CM Punk vs. John Cena vs. John Morrison vs. Randy Orton vs. R-Truth
WWE Elimination Chamber will take place on Sunday, February 20, 2011 from the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.
SD Main Event, Note on the WWE Teaser Video, More
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 11:04 PM
- Wrestling legend Paul Orndorff was telling people at WrestleReunion this past weekend that he was recently fitted for a port and would begin chemotherapy this Thursday to battle his cancer.
- Terry Ward sent word that the "2 21 11" teaser promo video on RAW tonight did not air before the Tyson Kidd vs. Daniel Bryan match where she's from in Canada. If any readers can add to this, feel free to send in your comments.
- The main event for this Friday's SmackDown that we noted before will be Dolph Ziggler, Layla and Michelle McCool vs. Edge and Kelly Kelly. Edge's World Heavyweight Title match will be on the line in a first.
WWE Airs a Teaser Promo on Tonight's RAW
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 10:38 PM
- WWE aired a vignette on tonight's RAW which seemed to tease the arrival of a new Superstar. The video showed a mysterious figure in a dark, rainy setting. The end of the video flashed "2 21 11" in fiery text.
February 21st, 2011 is the date for WWE Monday Night RAW in Fresno, California from the Save Mart Center.
First WM27 Match, RAW Dark Match & Superstars
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 09:55 PM
- The dark match before tonight's RAW in Rhode Island saw William Regal beat Johnny Curtis.
- Matches taped for this Thursday's WWE Superstars before RAW tonight were Melina vs. Tamina and Zack Ryder & Primo vs. David Hart Smith & Yoshi Tatsu.
- Alberto Del Rio vs. Edge for the World Heavyweight Title was made official for WrestleMania 27 on tonight's RAW.
Kofi Kingston Reveals Dream WrestleMania Match
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 08:30 PM
- Friday's SmackDown did a 2.01 rating with 3,024,000 viewers.
- In an interview with ESPN.com, Kofi Kingston was asked who his dream WrestleMania opponent would be. "My dream match would be against Ricky Steamboat," Kingston said. "You saw him comeback a few years ago and he still had it. He's phenomenal, and I'd love if he could come back one more time to challenge for the Intercontinental belt. It could be like a student versus teacher type match. For me, being in the same ring as the guys I watched growing up just means so much and that would be amazing to me if I got that chance."
The high flying SmackDown star was also asked about playing video games while he's not on the road and which superstars he plays against. "Big Show, myself, Cody Rhodes, Tyler Reks, and that savage Hornswoggle," he said. "There are a handful of us who form this underground wrestling gamer community."
Dwayne Johnson Addresses WWE Return Question
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 08:21 PM
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has revealed that he will never wrestle again via his official Facebook page. In a new feature on his page where he responds in depth to a fan question, he kicked it off by answering whether he would return to World Wrestling Entertainment.
His complete response is:
"...to "the Rock's millions and millions"...who will forever be my family.. ..my honest and direct answer to you is this: I left the WWE because I had succeeded in accomplishing every goal I set to achieve. ...I've never done this before, but I will now because I feel it's important you know..let me share with you the goals I set for myself in the WWE so you can have a better understanding and perspective.. - become the youngest WWE World Champion - help set box office and attendance records in every arena in the country - help set PPV buy rate records ..the final two and my most important goals to achieve in wrestling: - become the most entertaining and electrifying performer the WWE had ever seen or will ever see again - take the brass ring of the WWE that Vince McMahon had faithfully allowed me to earn and take it places it had never gone before...to trailblaze...to break new ground...to achieve unprecedented greatness for not only for myself and the fans to enjoy...but for the business of professional wrestling itself and the WWE... A business and company that is in my blood and that I will love forever. ...I achieved these goals in the WWE at 30 years old and decided then to HUMBLY and QUIETLY step away and retire. ..and set my sights on another goal...a childhood dream...Hollywood. ..will I ever come back to the WWE? of course I will..not a match though, but in a capacity that would allow me to do so much more.. I LOVE that company and the fans...without the two I would not be standing where I am today... Vince and myself stay very closely connected and when the opportunity is right - which will be alot sooner than you think - we will do something electrifying and historic for the fans...he and I were toying with the idea of a special show called "ROCK RAW"... sounds like a perfect title for me to come back and SLAP THE LIPS OFF THOSE JABRONIS and LAYETH THE SMACKETH DOWN ON AAAAALLLLL THEIR CANDY ASSES!!! sorry...got carried away..I'll save that one of a kind electricity for Rock Raw.. ...it is important to me to say this from my heart - to the incredibly loyal "..The Rock's Millions and Millions..." and the entire WWE UNIVERSE...I am forever humbled and grateful to you for allowing me the HONOR to entertain you over the years...you have my word I will continue to entertain you in ways like no one else...it's only just the beginning... I dream big...and we've achieved those dreams together because you never left my side..I love you for that and thank you... I am Dwayne Johnson...and I will also always be The Rock."
TMZ Covers MVP, Former Diva Now A Hair Stylist
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 07:52 PM
– TMZ.com reports that sources close to former WWE star Montel Vontavious Porter (MVP) indicate that the one-time United States Champion signed a deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling over the weekend.
The contract is for at least one year. He makes his debut Feb. 20.
TMZ also reports that MVP’s criminal background made it difficult for him obtain a visa to travel to Japan.
“Burke – who spent over nine years behind bars after being convicted of kidnapping and armed robbery when he was just 16 – had to fight tooth and nail to get the requisite visa given Japan’s anti-felon policy,” TMZ noted.
– Former WCW World Heavyweight Champion David Arquette checked out of an undisclosed rehab center Sunday after completing treatment for alcohol and other problems, reports The Associated Press. He entered rehab nearly a month ago.
– In the “Where Are They Now?” files, former WWE Diva Kristal Marshall now works as a hair stylist for the WISP Hair Studio in Parker, Colorado. She announced last April that she split with Bobby Lashley, whom she had one son with.
Officials Concerned with Two New Wrestlers
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 06:14 PM
- There is said to be some frustration with WWE developmental officials regarding the in-ring style of Alex Koslov, now using the name Peter Orlov. He had been working for the AAA promotion in Mexico.
Alberto Del Rio had some of the same issues when he first came to developmental and there's concern that Mistico will go through the same problems when he comes up.
More Details on Mike Adamle's Recent Arrest
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 06:12 PM
- More details are coming out about former WWE announcer Mike Adamle's recent DUI arrest. According to the police report, Adamle danced in the street and did a head stand after police in Evanston, Illinois pulled him over on January 10th for disobeying a red-flashing traffic signal.
The report says Adamle voluntarily started dancing in the street and did a head stand before he was ordered to take a field sobriety test, which he failed. Adamle did pass a breathalyzer test that he took at the police station later on. The arresting office noted that Adamle's eyes were glossy and blood shot and he had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath.
While in police custody, police say Adamle was acting erratic and doing things like grinding his teeth, acting "extremely jittery" and rubbing his nose. Police suspected Adamle was under the influence of something other than alcohol. Adamle told the cops he had not taken any kind of drugs including prescriptions. However, Adamle allegedly told a DUI drug investigator that he was taking Lomictal for his seizures.
Adamle told police he was returning home from work and only had one glass of wine about two hours before being stopped. Adamle is disputing the charger because his BAC was 0.044, below the Illinois legal limit of 0.08. Adamle is due in court on February 14th on charges of DUI.
Flair Possibly Attending the WWE HOF Update
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 06:11 PM
- As noted before, there is talk that Shawn Michaels wants Ric Flair to attend the WWE Hall of Fame this year in Atlanta when he is inducted.
Those close to Flair say that the current TNA star would likely have little to no interest in attending. It's believed WWE officials would allow him to attend but would keep him away from cameras.
Booker in Main Event Picture? Riley Elimination
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 04:52 PM
- There has been some ideas banded around for Booker with main-event guys in WWE. The original plan had been for Booker to be brought in as a manager that wrestles infrequently, but it looks as if that may have changed now.
- The reason there was some confusion surrounding Alex Riley and his elimination during the Royal Rumble was because he was not supposed to go out when he did. Riley was supposed to hang on when thrown over - this is why the commentary team were asking about him post elimination and why they didn't call it when he had been thrown out.
- As he was getting up, Nash was reportedly told something by one of the referees before his stare down spot with Big Show. It's thought that this may have been a backstage audible due to the crowd reaction he received and WWE trying to plan something for him going forward.
Update On No Show Rumble Talent, Kong News
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 04:47 PM
-- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper suffered a black eye at the hands of Terry Funk during a battle royal at WrestleReunion 5 in Los Angeles.
-- WWE Superstars Superstars Darren Young, David Hart Smith and Primo were advertised on WWE.com for last night's 40-Man Royal Rumble Match but ultimately excluded. All three were not backstage at the Rumble as they were informed last week that they had been taken off the show. Smith, however, is in Providence for tonight's Raw.
-- As noted earlier, Awesome Kong was backstage at last night's Royal Rumble pay-per-view event in Boston, but was not used. She is set to debut imminently. She is backstage at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence for tonight's Raw.
Major Announcement to be Made on RAW Tonight
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 03:57 PM
- WWE has announced that Royal Rumble winner Alberto Del Rio will announce which title he's going to challenge for at WrestleMania 27 on RAW tonight.
Del Rio has the option of deciding to face WWE Champion The Miz from RAW or World Heavyweight Champion Edge from SmackDown.
Melina Reacts To Bret Hart's Compliments
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 03:03 PM
The latest issue of WWE Magazine features an interview with Melina discussing her seven month hiatus last year from the squared circle, where she would rank herself on the all-time list of Divas, her high-pitched screaming, and more. She is also asked to comment on Bret Hart specifically naming her as one of the best competitors in World Wrestling Entertainment today and if she had any idea that the WWE Hall of Famer held her in such high esteem.
"Absolutely not!" Melina replied. "It was such a huge honor to receive such a compliment, but it also adds a lot of pressure to live up to that expectation.
"At first, I couldn't believe Bret Hart even mentioning my name. I was like, "No, it must be a mistake. He meant someone else." But it meant the world to me to learn that someone sees something in me.
"Every time I step in the ring, whether on Raw or at a live event, I try so hard to give it my all, because I don't want to let Bret down. I don't want him to see me make a mistake and think, "Oh, I wish I never backed her."
During a November 2009 interview with Ministry of Slam, the self-proclaimed "Excellence of Execution" referred to Melina as his personal favorite wrestler, not to mention the best wrestler in the entire world.
Hart said, "I think there's some great wrestlers in the WWE. I think Melina is really creative and imaginative, and she's an innovator and she comes up with some great matches. I love watching her wrestle.
"In a lot of ways I think she's the best wrestler in the world right now."
Nash On WWE Future, Match vs. Big Show & more
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 02:45 PM
In an interview with WWE.com, Kevin Nash spoke about his surprise Royal Rumble appearance and also appeared to take a swipe at TNA, saying it was "nice to be in a building with people" at the Rumble in Boston.
"When you get in this business, you strive to get to WWE, and when it’s time to hang up your boots, you definitely want to end up a Yankee. So, if this was my last one, I couldn’t be happier," Nash told Joey Styles.
Styles then asked if this was Nash's last time in the squared circle. "I hope not. I know Randy Orton, he’s got pull around here [laughs]. I’d stay as long as they’ll have me, or as long as my body will hold on," Nash said.
He also adressed the stare down with Big Show as he was exiting the Royal Rumble match, saying that there is "a lot of history there, either together or on the opposite side of the ring."
"He’s still probably the most impressive physical specimen I’ve been in the ring with – by far the strongest, still the measuring stick. I’d like to give him another run for his money."
WWE Leaving Door Open for Kaval Return
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 02:24 PM
The New York Daily News features a profile on Brooklyn native Brandon Silvestry (a/k/a Kaval and Low-Ki) focusing on his tenure with World Wrestling Entertainment and "underdog" demeanor.
The article suggests that Silvestry was surprised by WWE notifying him of his release from the organization on December 23, which he dubbed a "Christmas present.
Silverstry, however, has indicated in recent interviews that it was his decision to part ways with the organization.
"It was a mutual parting of the ways," said a WWE spokesman to the New York Daily News. "There is no bad blood between the WWE and Kaval. The door remains open for him to return."
Silvestry insists he was released because he wasn't one of the typical larger-than-life, trash-talking superstars that WWE is known for.
"I'm not 6-foot-2, I'm not 250 pounds. I don't talk all kinds of trash. I just handle guys in the ring," he said. "I'm not going to dwell on it. I gotta just plan ahead and move forward."
Update On Booker T, Releasing an Autobiography
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 02:13 PM
- Booker T will be releasing his own autobiography after signing a deal with Medallion Press. It is titled "From Prison to Promise" with the press release stating that the book "will detail (Booker's) struggles with family and crime in urban Houston before becoming one of the world’s most recognized and successful athletes." It is currently scheduled for a September 2010 release.
"I’m at that point in my life where I feel maybe someone else can benefit from hearing what I’ve been through," Booker said in the press release. "You know, whether their parents passed away at an early age, or they got into some serious trouble with the law, there’s no doubt in my mind people will not only relate to what I went through, but maybe I can even help keep some of them from going down the same path."
Check out more on this at MedallionPress.com.
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 01:36 PM
- Gail Kim commented on Twitter about recent reports of her working as a heel. She wrote: "People I was forced to be maryse's tag partner by the GM! She left me high and dry so don't think I wanted to be her partner.I had no choice."
- Awesome Kong, who lives in the Boston area, was backstage at last night's WWE Royal Rumble pay-per-view.
- There was a lot of criticism coming from within WWE last night regarding the quality of the commentary by Michael Cole, Matt Striker and Jerry Lawler.
WrestleMania Main Event Plans, Lagana Blog
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 01:27 PM
As always, plans are subject to change, but as of last night, the two main events planned for Wrestlemania have:
- The Miz vs. John Cena for the WWE championship
- Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight title
- Check out IWantWrestling.com for a blog posted by Dave Lagana which recalls the Rumble PPV where Batista went out by accident when trying to toss out John Cena. This lead to Vince McMahon storming the ring and tearing both of his quads entering the ring.
Theme Song for WM27, Trish Stratus Note, More
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 01:20 PM
- WWE's shop website has released The Undertaker Series 1 of 2 of the WWE Heroes comic book set. The comic is 32 pages and sells for $3.99.
- Former WWE Diva Trish Stratus is featured in a new trading card series that showcases Canadian-born celebrities called "In The Game's Canadiana." The official release of the cards hasn't been released yet but Trish is featured in the set with such stars as Paul Henderson and William Shatner.
- The song "Written In The Stars" by Tinie Tempah will be one of the theme songs for WWE's WrestleMania 27.
McMahon Stepping Down? Muhammed Hassan Note
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 01:00 PM
-- Today would have marked former WWE star Giant Gonzales' 45th birthday. He passed away on September 22, 2010 due to complications of diabetes in his hometown of San Martin, Argentina.
-- Former WWE talent Mark 'Muhammed Hassan' Copani has launched an account on Twitter. He lists himself as an actor/entertainer.
-- The latest issue of Power Slam features a story on Paul 'Triple H' Levesque's official promotion to Senior Advisor to Vince McMahon, which has led many to conclude that "The Game" is now more interested in a career behind the scenes than in the squared circle. Though in no way confirmed, the article notes that McMahon is expected to step down from his post as Chairman and CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment in 2011 or 2012 and hand over the reigns of the company to Levesque. McMahon, however, would remain with the organization in an advisory role.
Live Royal Rumble Fan Notes
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 12:59 PM
- Thanks to Mike McMahon of Steelcage.net for the following live notes from last night’s WWE Royal Rumble in Boston:
The Rumble was a really good show that the live audience ate up. I’ve obviously been to quite a few WWE events in my day, and outside of Wrestlemania 14 in the same venue, I’m not sure I’ve been to a hotter show in Boston
- The crowd was a legit sellout. The only seats tarped off were those behind the set.
- The live crowd was really into the Ziggler-Edge opening bout. I’d say for more than half the match, the majority of the building was standing. Those two obviously put on a helluva show Ziggler, despite being eaten up on Smackdown heading into the event, was really over with the crowd in Boston. A lot of people were chanting “Christian!” on the ref-bump spot that resulted in Edge using the spear.
- The crowd was a little quiet to start Miz-Orton, but I think that’s because everyone was so hot for the Ziggler-Edge match. As we got to the finish, when Nexus came out, the crowd woke up big time and popped huge for the finish.
- The crowd was really disappointed to get Eve as the fourth addition to the Divas’ match. Obviously most thought it was going to be Awesome Kong, and there were even “Kong!” chants before Eve was announced.
- I was surprised how hot the crowd was at the start of the Rumble. Obviously it was going to be a long match before the payoff with the finish. I think having CM Punk come out as entry No. 1 helped in that regard, because the crowd was into him. I liked the Nexus-Corre brawl to start the match. The “smart” fans in the crowd were electric with Bryan-Punk to start.
- Booker T received a HUGE reaction. Kevin Nash had a huge pop as well. Considering the surprises were not really well kept and at least everyone around me knew they were coming, the reaction was enormous for both men. That says a lot to how over they are. Especially in Nash’s case – he’s been off of WWE television for what? Six years?
- Another really good pop for Chavo Guerrero’s three-amigos suplex spot. The crowd was really into that. Popped huge for every attempt. Good to see Chavo get a quality PPV spot, too.
- It was really entertaining to me to watch some of the younger fans (and some of the … well, less intelligent) who were genuinely pissed off that Miz eliminated John Cena. There was one woman in front of me – she was in her 20′s at least, maybe 30′s – screaming at her friend that Miz wasn’t in the Rumble and Cena should NOT have been eliminated. Then went on a tirade about how no referee saw that? Why didn’t they just look at the replay on the screen? … Hey lady, it’s a work. Don’t have a heart attack here.
- I think some in the crowd were disappointed that Triple H didn’t make his return at the Rumble. I wasn’t as surprised. It really didn’t make much sense for Triple H to return unless he was going to win the match. At No. 37, people around me were counting off who still wasn’t in, trying to see if Triple H was a possibility. Poor Kane got a lesser reaction because I think some people were disappointed.
- Del Rio winning the Rumble was expected from me, but got a good pop. I just assumed with his build and promos heading into the match meant he was going to win it. A nice little swerve at the end with Santino, that had some in the crowd wondering what was actually happening … one guy yelled, “What the (expletive) is going on!?!?!”
- After the show went off the air, Del Rio and his ring announcer, Ricardo Rodriguez, walked slowly up the aisle and spent a lot of time right by the stage. The camera man seemed to signal for Rodriguez to keep talking while they recorded. Then at one point, Charles Robinson looked like he gave Rodriguez the wrap-up signal. At one point, Rodriguez was on a long (1-2 minute) filibuster (in Spanish, of course) where all I understood was “Rumble” and “Wrestlemania.” Then the pair walked to the back and Justin Roberts thanked us all for coming.
Cena On The Miz, Nash-Big Show Exchange, more
Posted by Amish Patel on 01/31/2011 at 12:25 PM
- John Cena recently asked fans on Twitter to help him get Jersey Shore star Snookie to follow his Twitter account, noting that he was desperate. Snooki recently followed Cena and wrote "I got you Cena Gorilla." Cena thanked fans last night after the Royal Rumble for their help and commented on The Miz. He wrote:
"CeNation. 1 thank you for all the help w the follow. 2 john morrison is legit. 3 hornswoggle is awsome......
And 4... I tip my cap to the mizz. He got me. That's the bad news. The good news is it will not happen again.
He is now on my radar. Tonight he basically said " im afraid of john cena. ""
- For what it's worth, readers Mike Ireland and Joseph Perry sent word that he was sitting by the entrance at last night's WWE Royal Rumble in Boston and noticed an exchange between Kevin Nash and Big Show as Nash made his exit and Big Show was coming out. Mike reports that Show said something to Nash and Nash replied right back, causing Big Show to shoot him an aggravated look.
- Billdom sent word that the song used in the great Randy Orton vs. The Miz hype video on the Royal Rumble is "Machine Gun Blues" by the band Social Distortion.
Booker T Under WWE Contract, Mysterio Update, More
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 06:23 AM
- Word is that the WWE Divas Title match being changed to a Fatal 4 Way match at the Royal Rumble was planned before last night. T-shirts being sold for the event featured the Fatal 4 Way instead of the Handicap Match originally advertised.
- There is said to be some frustration between WWE officials and Rey Mysterio right now as it relates to him continuing to need time off and lighter scheduling. It's said that Rey is no longer traveling first class.
WWE realizes Rey won't be around for many more years and really want to fill that void in the Hispanic market when he leaves. Vince McMahon has pushing John Laurinaitis to find lots of new Hispanic stars, including Alberto Del Rio.
- Dave Meltzer reports that Booker T is under some sort of contract with WWE but Kevin Nash is not. The feeling is that WWE may offer more work based on the reactions at the Royal Rumble last night. Booker T may end up doing anything from announcing to managing and working backstage. A role for Booker T on the return of Tough Enough was also talked about.
Stars Replaced at the Rumble, Evan Bourne Update
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 06:22 AM
- Last night's 40-Man Royal Rumble match was one of the longest WWE match in history at 70 minutes.
- Michael Cole noted last night that the #40 entrant Kane was entering his 13 straight Royal Rumble match in a row, which is the new record.
- While Evan Bourne was one of the many rumored names for last night's Royal Rumble main event, the RAW Superstar is not quite ready to return to action yet. Bourne noted on Twitter this weekend that he was still doing physical therapy. Bourne is scheduled to return in time for WrestleMania 27.
- Three WWE stars who were advertised for the Royal Rumble but did not appear were Primo Colon, Darren Young and David Hart Smith. This left 9 slots open - the six before the match and the three left open by them not appearing. These 9 slots were filled by Kevin Nash, Booker T, Dolph Ziggler, Randy Orton, Alex Riley, Hornswoggle, Tyler Reks, Chavo Guerrero and The Great Khali, who made his WWE return with Ranjin Singh.
Tonight's WWE RAW, MVP-Japan Update, More
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 06:20 AM
- Tonight's WWE RAW will take place from the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island with all the fallout from the Royal Rumble. Advertised locally is John Cena and Randy Orton vs. CM Punk and The Miz with Michael Cole as referee.
- Former WWE star MVP is rumored to be making his New Japan Pro Wrestling debut on their February 20th show.
- As noted before, Super Luchas is reporting that WWE has signed Mexican star Mistico to a deal finally. Mistico apparently flew to the United States last Tuesday and signed the contract. The EMLL promotion in Mexico had an agreement with Mistico where he would tell them if he was negotiating with WWE and word is that he violated that agreement.
Even if WWE wanted to use the Mistico gimmick, which isn't usually how they do things, they likely couldn't as it's said EMLL owns the rights to the gimmick. Mistico will be heading to WWE developmental in the future to begin training.
Natalya's Sharpshooter, Booker-Nash Note, More
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 06:19 AM
- Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler talked about how Natalya was making history at the Royal Rumble last night when she did the double Sharpshooter on Layla and Eve Torres. Natalya actually first did the move on Layla and Michelle McCool back at WWE's TLC pay-per-view in December, during the Divas Tables Match where she teamed with Beth Phoenix to take on LayCool.
- Two readers noted to us how many tweets were on Twitter last night where WWE fans commented on wondering what Kevin Nash and Booker T had been doing since their last runs in WWE. It was pointed out that a large number of fans on Twitter did not know about Nash and Booker's past with TNA.
- As noted over the weekend, Jim Neidhart and Ken Patera were pulled from the Legends Battle Royal at the PWG show and WrestleReunion 5 in Los Angeles. Patera was pulled due to a back issue he was dealing with. Neidhart actually was pulled from the match because his autograph signing session earlier went over the originally agreed three hours and in order to get him to stay for the signing, the promoters agreed to let him skip the battle royal that night.
Cena & CM Punk Tie for Most Rumble Eliminations
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 06:16 AM
- CM Punk and John Cena tied for the most eliminations in last night's Royal Rumble main event with 7 each. Nexus as a group had 10 total eliminations. The following is a list of number of eliminations from last night, with assists included:
- CM Punk - 7
- John Cena - 7
- Michael McGillicutty - 4
- Randy Orton - 3
- Husky Harris - 3
- Daniel Bryan - 2
- Mark Henry - 2
- Rey Mysterio - 2
- Wade Barrett - 2
- Alberto Del Rio - 2
- Mason Ryan - 2
- Big Show - 2
- David Otunga - 2
- Ted DiBiase Jr. - 1
- The Great Khali - 1
- Sheamus - 1
- Kofi Kingston - 1
- Ezekiel Jackson - 1
- Kane - 1
The Miz, who was not an entrant in the match, had one elimination - John Cena.
Times from the Royal Rumble 40-Man Match
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 06:15 AM
- Here are the times that WWE Superstars lasted in the Royal Rumble match last night. CM Punk lasted the longest at 35 minutes and 22 seconds. R-Truth only lasted 30 seconds. The returning Kevin Nash lasted 2 minutes and 44 seconds while Booker T lasted 1 minute and 8 seconds. The winner Alberto Del Rio was in the match for 12 minutes and 33 seconds.
- CM Punk - 35:22
- John Cena - 33:18
- Wade Barrett - 22:24
- Kofi Kingston - 21:05
- Daniel Bryan - 20:56
- Rey Mysterio Jr. - 19:08
- Sheamus - 18:18
- Husky Harris - 15:59
- Michael McGillicutty - 15:07
- John Morrison - 13:22
- Santino Marella - 12:55
- Alberto Del Rio - 12:33
- Ted Dibiase Jr. - 12:16
- David Otunga - 11:57
- Hornswoggle - 9:39
- Randy Orton - 8:20
- Ezekiel Jackson - 7:14
- Mark Henry - 7:03
- Yoshi Tatsu - 5:35
- Dolph Ziggler - 5:02
- Jack Swagger - 4:51
- Drew McIntyre - 4:46
- Mason Ryan - 4:30
- William Regal - 4:10
- The Big Show - 3:31
- Alex Riley - 3:16
- Diesel - 2:44
- Chavo Guerrero - 2:01
- Chris Masters - 1:57
- Kane - 1:36
- JTG - 1:48
- The Great Khali - 1:16
- Booker T - 1:08
- Justin Gabriel - 0:58
- Heath Slater - 0:57
- Tyson Kidd - 0:52
- Zack Ryder - 0:43
- Vladimir Kozlov - 0:40
- Tyler Reks - 0:34
- R-Truth - 0:30
JR Blog: Rumble Thoughts, Punk vs. Orton, Austin
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 03:15 AM
WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross is back with another blog on jrsbarbq.com with Royal Rumble thoughts. Here are some highlights:
- John Morrison's leap of faith to the security wall and show of athleticism will be on many future Royal Rumble highlight packages. I thought Morrison might last a little longer in the RR match but that one interval served Morrison well.
- Dolph Ziggler reminds me somewhat of the great Pat Patterson of many years gone by not to mention that the athletic Ziggler has some Mr. Perfect traits as well. Ziggler can become very, very good in time especially when he becomes more comfortable on the mic. However with heat seeking missile Vickie Guerrero aligned with Dolph, Ziggler's need to talk isn't a priority....yet.
- Great ovations from where I was sitting at home in my old La-Z-Boy for both Booker T and Kevin Nash. Good to see both men looking physically fit and the Boston crowd ate up both stars surprise appearances. I have no idea if their Royal Rumble appearances were one offs or if they will be hanging around WWE at least on a part time basis. Both have skills that they can add to the mix even if they don't step back into a wrestling ring.
- CM Punk had a MVP like performance Sunday night and impressed me on numerous exchanges both athletically and with his facial expressions. Looks like Punk vs. Orton is going to be on the WM27 menu unless I'm wrong and, BTW, that happens frequently. Bottom line....good night for Punk.
- I learned that Steve Austin is excited about hosting Tough Enough and as we all are awaiting to see who his trainers are going to be. Austin should be highly entertaining in this natural, free flowing environment.
- Yours truly is finishing my last voice over session with THQ for the WWE All Star Video Game this Tuesday afternoon here in Oklahoma. This game is going to kick ass and is a fantasy booker's dream. I hope to be able to work with THQ and do all I can to promote this very important project not only for WWE, THQ but for yours truly as well.
Posted by Steve Carrier on 01/31/2011 at 02:41 AM
- Alberto Del Rio, Kevin Nash, Booker T, The Miz, Kelly Kelly, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk and others were all trending worldwide on Twitter last night during the WWE Royal Rumble pay-per-view.
- Kevin Nash wrote the following on Twitter just now regarding his return to WWE last night:
"Absolutely the best night of my wrestling career. It's so nice to be back in WWE family. Thanks Boston for making me feel so special."
Booker T & Diesel Returns To WWE At Royal Rumble
Posted by Andy Steven on 01/31/2011 at 12:46 AM
Booker T entered as #21 in the 40-man Royal Rumble match at tonight’s Royal Rumble pay-per-view. The way he was eliminated by Mason Ryan made it seem like he doesn’t have a contract but worked on a per shot deal. We’ll post more information when we get it.
Kevin Nash entered tonight’s 40-man Royal Rumble as Diesel at #32. He was quickly eliminated by Wade Barrett which makes me think, like Booker T, he doesn’t have a contract as of this writing.
More Details On Mistico Signing With WWE
Posted by Andy Steven on 01/31/2011 at 12:45 AM
Super Luchas reported today as the cover story in their latest issue that Mistico flew to the United States last Tuesday and signed a contract with the WWE. Mistico returned from Japan the day before and flew straight into the United States the next day to finalize the deal that EMLL knew nothing about which has contradicted Mistico’s agreement with EMLL on telling them if he had any contact with WWE. Mistico has been very disgruntled over the last year about his situation inside EMLL as they have decided to push La Sombra up to his level and he was very vocal in saying that Sombra wasn’t ready yet. Mistico also had issues with other guys getting big pushes and had talked to AAA last year about possibly jumping before deciding against it at the last minute. Mistico hasn’t worked at Arena Mexico since January 18th where they seemingly shot a new angle with Mistico having beef with Brazo de Plata after an injury angle the match before where he was destroyed by Averno & Mephisto but made it for his match only to help his team lose the match. Mistico then went on the New Japan/EMLL tour that EMLL didn’t push him as even being on the shows which was a telling sign regarding their relationship and it was around that time they announced the talent being on the show that Mistico likely told them that he was leaving the promotion. Mistico has had a couple of chances over the last 4 years to sign with WWE but it never matriculated which Mistico now says he should’ve signed back in 2007 when he had the chance so he finally decided to pull the trigger after he impressed them working a tryout match in California which was without EMLL’s permission. EMLL most likely owns the Mistico gimmick so he won’t be using it in WWE and I wouldn’t have expected them to use it anyway as they like to create their own personas so the question now is does EMLL give it to someone else or do they shelve it completely. The next few months in both EMLL and in Mistico’s professional life should be really interesting now as Mistico presumably will go to Florida Championship Wrestling and EMLL will now put their full confidence in La Sombra and now Mascara Dorada to fill the void.
WWE WrestleMania XXVII Main Event Revealed
Posted by Andy Steven on 01/31/2011 at 12:45 AM
As reported, Alberto Del Rio won the 2011 Royal Rumble and it looks like he will challenge Edge for the WWE World Championship at WrestleMania based on the results from the Royal Rumble.
Several wrestler reactions to the Royal Rumble
Posted by Roscoe De Soto on 01/31/2011 at 12:43 AM
The following comments were posted on Twitter...
Christopher Daniels: "Just got done watching the Rumble with friends. Congrats to @WWEDanielBryan and @CMPunk for their great showings... ...to @TheRealMorrison for the spot of the night,... & to the WWE, I ask, if no one saw the Miz throw Cena over the top rope, how do they know Cena went over the top at all? #IWantWresting"
Val Venis: "I am very happy for Del Rio. He is truly a great performer. Vince is hearing Cha Ching with Del Rio. Or at least he should be hearing that."
Carlito: "I guess I dont have special powers! Congrats to del rio and the wwe for changing things up!"
Shane Helms: "Del Rio is 1/3 JBL, 1/3 Ricky Ricardo, and 1/3 Ric Flair. Hope to see him go far."
Jim Ross: "Thought Booker & Nash both physically looked super 2nite. I hope they stick around WWE. TBD, I suppose."